Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home4/rcan5730/public_html/forum/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Extreme dog breeding
Hello Guest

Author Topic: Extreme dog breeding  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Leo Pui

• SchH3
    • http://www.nightwatchk9.com
Extreme dog breeding
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »

READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT. ... From the Producer

This video took me about three days to make, and I feel I had to do it.
Now, I'm not bashing any breed or dog here, I'm "bashing" the people who own and breed them to be this way.

If you own any of these breeds, but are not supporting these practices, then don't worry, I won't bite.

The breeds I found pictures of but that didn't make it were the Boxer, Borzoi, Bearded Collie, Dogue de Bordeaux, Dachshund and Irish Setter. Then of course MANY more breeds have changed for the worse, but perhaps I couldn't find a good "before" picture.

And I didn't have more time in the video, anyway, which is why I had to cut a few breeds out, and it still became rushed.
About the "disease-texts" - I know they are just flying by but they are more to prove a point than meant to be read completely. If you want to really read them, then pause the video.

The sources? Books, Kennel Club homepages, breed-specific sites (written by people who really know the breeds)...

Like I said, I have nothing *against* ANY dog breed.
Just *some* of the people who own and breed them.

Basset Hound - Awful, and just more of the bad excuses of the show breeders. "They have that skin so they can turn more easily in the bushes" - right... "They have skin folds over their eyes and ears long enough to step on so they should only focus on their sense of smell" - right...

Chow Chow - There's no justification for breeding a dog like that. Where are the eyes? Why the exaggerated coat (which puts some dogs into heat stroke)? Why the straight hind legs?

Shar-Pei - One sad story. Take a look at the Thai Ridgeback Dog - then look at the traditional Shar-Pei. Look at the TRD's puppies - they look like Shar-Pei almost, don't they?
Those are the wrinkles people exaggerated because they wanted their dogs wrinkly as adults too.
AT LEAST 40-50% of SP puppies has to have their eyes "stacked", meaning, sewn and attached to the skin of the forehead or neck, to avoid them getting really bad entropion at a very young age.
How can anyone justify this?

Pekingese - Now... what does the standard say... Oh, yes. "Nose: Not too short", "Muzzle: Must be evident, but may be relatively short", "Hair: Moderately long", "Length and volume of coat should neither impair the activity of the dog nor obscure the shapeliness of body. Excessive coat must be heavily penalised."
Can the Pekingese judges and breeders read?

Mastino Napoletano: What a beautiful dog this was. I say this as an owner of one of the original mastiff breeds, and I would love to have a Mastino, had they existed like they were sixty years ago.
Basically all molossers can trace their heritage back to the roman arenas, but no molosser has owners more keen to illustrate this heritage than the Mastino.
And no other molosser has evolved away from that heritage more than the Mastino. They are but a shadow of their past.

English Bulldog - Probably the dog farthest away from the original shape, of all the breeds on this Earth. Don't get me wrong, some look fairly good, not all are horribly sick, but seriously... as long as dogs with grotesque, oversized heads, narrow hips, horrible hip dysplasia, heart diseases, noses at most one centimeter long, and airways so tight and deformed they constantly snore and struggle to breathe are awarded at dog shows - I see no hope for this breed.
How anyone can breed animals who can barely move freely, breathe freely and mate and give birth without insemination and C-section with their conscience intact is beyond me.

This is animal cruelty.
Animal cruelty which is completely legal, and even supported by lots and lots of people.
I'm going to get even more harsh and say - dog fighting. That's a horrible practice that puts millions of dogs into horrible pain every year.
This is not much better.

Now, like I said in the video, not all of these dogs are sick, and not all of the "good" examples are healthy, definitely not. But - and this is also why I finished the video with a picture of a wolf - the wolf's shape is how nature decided this species is to be constructed.

You can move away from that shape somewhat without it causing any harm, but the farther away from the original shape you go, the higher the cost will be - for the dogs.

There are no excuses for this.

LEO PUI
========================
Get Real, Train Real & Be Real
Do It RIGHT And Fear NO ONE
========================

zimbris

Re: Extreme dog breeding
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »
wow....  notworthy
well done to you Leo for posting this one and well done to the maker of the video, I will share it on my Facebook profile.
my goodness, the old Mastino looked amazing!! I see show people have destroyed pretty much all working breeds..  while I think about it, they were ALL working dogs, but man transformed them into fluffy brushes, unhealthy "teddy bears"..

bravo Leo pt postarea asta si bravo celui care a facut clipul, il voi pune si eu pe profilul meu de Facebook.
Vechiul Mastino arata extraordinar!! Vad ca oamenii "showului" au distrus cam toate rasele utilitare.. iar daca ma gandesc mai bine, cam TOATE rasele au fost utilitare initial iar omul le-a transformat in niste maturi, ursuleti de plush nesanatosi...

Offline ShepherdsByDesignK9

• BH
    • Shepherds By Design K-9
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »
Leo, Very well done video you have done there ! 

I don't know much about the other breeds except for my own. What I have seen in just our breed is that there are people willing to purchase dogs I feel don't represent the breed well and I'm sure it is in all breeds as your video has shown. Let take an example of the American Showline German Shepherds that look like they are just about to drag their ass across the ring. Who do we have to blame for this? I feel that the American people here just follow the leader as to what one competitor does well with the rest will follow. The problem I see is our kennel club   ( AKC ) that allows this to happen only cause they are all about the money rather than about what is best about the dog itself. We have too many that are trying to improve the breed, but really are doing them harm instead. I see so many here breeding sport dogs rather than to preserve what once was. Now when they are breeding for smaller quicker dogs what are they actually loosing? Or you have breeders here that are breeding for extreme working dogs, but then find that these dogs that have been bred this way can not contribute as their ancestors once did. We find many of these type of dogs in shelters for various reasons. Now are we truly  helping this breed or just producing pups to fill what others think they would like or are we just condemning this breed to more problems down the road.

Or another example is that a very popular male is imported to the U.S., we have many that stand in line to breed to this dog before they do their homework as to the genetics behind this pairing first. But because this male has excelled everyone else feels they need his offspring.

We have had years ago seen what the Martin brothers in Germany thought was good breedings by continuing to bring back Canto and Quanto back to a pedigree in the WGSL German Shepherds and because they did it everyone else followed suit. Now we have a bunch of WGSL dogs that you couldn't give away to me. What was created in what they thought was great pigment, nice angluation  ended up producing lots of health issues cause these dogs they continued to use we not strong enough in genetic. Now looking at these other breeds being produces I bet you have a lot of the same health issues along with a dog that was once a great working dog and now ended up just one that one looks at instead.

I fell in love with the Czech Working line German Shepherd years back and have worked rather hard to continue to produce just what I have fell in love with years back. I'm not one that needs to follow the leader and am not afraid to point to others that are doing just that with much disgust.

IMO I think the only way we can stop this is to stop purchasing dogs that are just like what I have described. But until we do this these dogs will be the only ones that will suffer for years to come
Narys Policia Slovakia
Faust Cierna Vdova

zimbris

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
traducere:

Nu stiu asa multe despre alte rase cu exceptia celei pe care o am. Ce am observat la CG este ca sunt oameni care vor sa achizitioneze exemplare care nu reprezinta rasa bine si sunt sigur ca asta se intampla si in cadrul altor rase cum ne arata clipul postat. sa ne uitam de ex la liniile de show americane de CG, care merg de parca isi taraie fundul pe teren. Cine e de invinovatit pt asta? Am impresia ca la americani exista mentalitatea de turma, castigatorul merge pe o directie iar ceilalti ii urmeaza. Clubul nostru (AKC) ingaduie asta pt ca pe ei ii intereseaza banii, nu sa promoveze ce e cel mai bun la o rasa. Sunt atatia care incearca sa "imbunatateasca" rasa si de fapt o strica mai mult. Aici multi au inceput sa selecteze pt sport, in loc sa pastreze ceea ce era candva aceasta rasa.  Acum ca selecteaza caini mai mici si mai rapizi ce pierd, de fapt? Sau sunt crescatori care cresc caini extremi de lucru, dar ca acesti caini produsi nu contribuie la imbunatatirea rasei asa cum au facut-o stramosii lor. Gasim astfel de caini in Adaposturi ajunsi acolo din diferite motive. Oare noi chiar ajutam rasa asta sau doar implinim dorintele unora sau altora si condamnam rasa la mai multe probleme, in timp.

Sau alt exemplu ar fi cel al unui mascul popular in State, apoi multi stau la coada sa monteze cu acest mascul fara sa-si faca temele sa se informeze despre genetica masculului respectiv, inainte de a monta cu el. dar pt ca acest caine e popular, toti cred ca au nevoie de progeniturile lui.

Am putut vedea cu ani in urma ce-au crezut fratii Martin ca e bun in Germania si au tot readus pe Canto si Quanto in pedigreele cainilor vestici si pt ca ei faceau asta, ceilalti s-au luat dupa ei. ceea ce s-a apreciat ca fiind pigment nemaipomenit, angulatie buna a generat de fapt multe probleme de sanatate pt ca acesti caini pe care au continuat sa-i foloseasca nu aveau genetic puternic. Acum uitandu-ma la clipul postat mai sus, pariez ca acesti caini actuali care sufera de atatea probleme de sanatate erau candva caini utilitari nemaipomeniti si au ajuns doar ceva la care privesti.

Eu m-am indragostit de Ciobanescul German Cehesc si am muncit destul de greu pt pastrarea acestui tip de caine. Nu sunt tipul de om care sa urmez orbeste un lider si nu ma feresc sa atrag atentia altora asupra acestui lucru unde e cazul.

In opinia mea singurul mod de a opri acest fenomen de stricare a rasei este sa nu mai achizitionam tipul de caini amintit. Dar pana cand vom face asta, acesti caini vor avea mult de suferit.

zimbris

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Chuck I admire your open thinking and communication style and I agree we are gradually destroying the GSD breed.
You do realize though that, your suggested way of stopping this from happening is miles away from actually happening, the sport phenomena is huge and competing is probably what drives owners and competitor alike to keep purchasing these high drive dogs. I dare to say many compete in sports to feed their own egos regardless of what is happening to the breed. we were just talking yesterday about a west dog who actually won the WUSV not long ago that had "a moment" in his protection routine where one can see the dog took high points because had good training, not because ot was a genetically good dog. I said this before and I'll say it again - it's the actual training that gets points and a piece of paper saying "champion" at the end of it all, not genetics saying "this is a good dog", but a paper saying "this was good training". AND that is what sells... and since we live in this world that is hungry for recognition, appreciation.. well, they'll keep buying drive, never mind the actual state of the breed...

Chuck iti admir stilul deschis de a gandi si comunica si ai dreptate, putin cate putin distrugem rasa sta.
dar sper ca realizezi ca, modul sugerat de a opri acest fenomen este departe de a putea fi realizat, sportul este urias si competitia in sine este ceea ce impinge pe om sa achizitioneze caini cu drive pt sport. Indraznesc sa spun ca multi concureaza pt a-si satisface propriile ambitii indiferent de ce se intampla cu rasa. Chiar ieri vorbeam despre un caine campion mondial la WUSV in anii recenti, in a carui exercitiu de protectie apare un moment unde se vede clar ca a obtinut punctaj bun pt a fost dresat bine, nu pt ca e caine bun, genetic. Am mai spus-o si o mai spun, este dresajul ceea ce obtine puncte si o hartie pe care scrie "campion", nu genetica spunand "acesta e un caine bun" ci, acea hartie spunand "acesta e dresaj bun". .. iar asta se vinde bine.. si cum traim intr-o lume infometata dupa recunoastere, apreciere.. pai, vor continua sa achizitioneze caini buni pt sport, ce mai conteaza starea in care se afla rasa..

Offline ShepherdsByDesignK9

• BH
    • Shepherds By Design K-9
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:50:46 PM »
Dan you are very right as to what has happened and what people strive for. None of them once take in the factor that they are ruining what we see as our breed. What I see in the show ring here in the U.S just makes me want to throw up!!  Just like what was being said about what happened to the DDR dogs are what is happening to our beloved Czech lines too.

Until we have judges here that have some sort of common sense will we ever be able to change this breed. I have said for years that the type of German Shepherd that you and I love will soon be extinct. I will continue to breed the type of dog I once fell in love with as there are still those few that share my concern and when the others are complaining about what this breed has turned into I will be the first to point back at them as they are the ones that originally cause this to happen.

It really disappoints me to see all these so called breeders breed with blinders on only to satisfy their clients for the oh mighty $$$$$
Narys Policia Slovakia
Faust Cierna Vdova

zimbris

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:58:32 PM »
What I see in the show ring ...... just makes me want to throw up!!

It really disappoints me to see all these so called breeders breed with blinders on only to satisfy their clients for the oh mighty $$$$$
Hey I am totally with you on these two!!!